Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Comic book review

When I was a lad I loved superhero comic books.  Then I grew out of them as I got older.  And around the time I grew out of my like for the superhero genre, I began getting into comics based on true life.  I grew to especially like comics based on lives that I could strongly identify with and Bread & Butter by Liz Mayorga (Rosarium Publishing) is a comic book I strongly identify with.

No, I don't live in San Francisco and no I have no plans to go live there, but I did visit there briefly when I went to see my late brother before he passed away.  No, I'm not a Hispanic female, nor do I aspire to be one.  But I have been a working stiff who has spent time working in restaurant kitchens and waiting tables. Ms. Mayorga knows this world intimately and she gets it down in comic book form with out one false note.  It's all very real and to me it's very interesting, way more interesting than some hopped up muscle bound freak who likes to wear underwear on the outside of his/her cheesy costume.

This issue begins the story of a SF cafe worker who is longing for more out of life.  It's full of wonderful realistic art that catches the reality of working life perfectly  and it's accompanied by spare well written dialogue.  But the great thing about this title is that if the words were gone, you'd still understand the story based on the art alone.  Ms. Mayorga's art reminds me of the underground cartoonists of the late 1960's/mid 1970's.  Her framing is spot on and the layouts work, I especially love her panels in the first few pages that set the scene, they give you a real sense of place.

All in all this is a really great slice of life title.  I look forward to seeing more of this title and more of Ms. Mayorga's work in general. Give this one a chance and I think you'll be hooked too.

No comments: